Proper and timely furnace maintenance is important for keeping your home safe and comfortable, extending the life of your furnace, and saving on heating costs. While there are several things you can do on your own for proper functioning of your furnace, annual furnace maintenance should be conducted by a heating expert, as they are able to check every single detail and perhaps fix any potential problems before it is too late. It is important to ensure that you leave all repairs, replacements and maintenance to a certified HVAC contractor. This is especially important where the furnace is under warranty.
Things you can do to keep your Furnace Working Efficiently
- Keep the owner’s manuals that come with your appliance. They provide important information on your furnace including servicing requirements and troubleshooting.
- Familiarize yourself with the warranty of your appliance. Refer to the warranty to get more details on the parts that you can use, professional services as well as the do-it-yourself tasks to ensure that you do not accidentally void it.
- Get accustomed with the key safety requirements of your furnace, such as the shut-off valve and how to use it if necessary.
- Replace or clean air filters regularly. This is important to keep the furnace operating efficiently, ensure that air circulating through the home is clean, and to extend the life of the compressor.
- Keep space around the furnace and heating vents clean. This is especially important for air intakes and returns throughout the home.
- Listen for and record any abnormal or strange noises of your heating system. They could be an indication of a problem within the furnace.
- Test your thermostat on a regular basis. The thermostat acts as the brain behind the furnace – it tells it to turn on and off. Many issues thought to be caused by the furnace are actually tied to a malfunctioning thermostat.
Annual Preventative Maintenance by a Professional
It is highly recommended to schedule regular inspections, cleaning and maintenance with a licensed professional. Our experienced technicians can quickly diagnose the issue and provide prompt solutions to keep you and your family comfortable and safe. Here is a checklist of the tasks that the heating professional will perform:
- General Operations Check of the Furnace. This includes safety limit controls, temperature set points, thermostat, blower, pressure switches, ignition and venting system.
- Blower Maintenance. The blower will be removed so that the blower compartment and the blower itself can be cleaned from dust and debris. In older models, the blower and motor bearings may also need to be lubricated.
- Heat Exchanger Inspection. The heat exchanger and the heating elements of the furnace need to be checked for any deterioration and cracks naturally occurring with age. A heat exchanger that is cracked or otherwise damaged should be replaced, as there is a risk that it may release toxic fumes.
- Burner Inspection. Dirty burners will be removed and thoroughly cleaned, as they can cause poor combustion.
- Belts and pulleys Inspection. The belts and pulleys inside of the furnace need to be inspected and cleaned. Worn, damaged and loose belts and pulleys can increase operating costs and may eventually break, causing your furnace to shut down.
- Pilot Light Check. The pilot light and assembly may need to be adjusted and clean. Weak or dirty pilot lights can result in a shutdown of the furnace.
- Gas line Inspection. Your licensed technician will check for possible leaks or manifold pressure and correcting them.
- Vent Inspection. Checking the vents to ensure they are working well.
After the Inspection
When the HVAC technician has completed the inspection of your furnace, they will give you a report on your system detailing the replacements and repairs that are recommended. Although these recommendations can appear like frivolous expenses, they are very important because they will not only prevent expensive future repairs but can also extend the life of your furnace. If your inspection turns up any issues then you can count on PEACE OF MIND PLUMBING for an honest opinion, an upfront fixed-price quote, and quality furnace repairs.